Allergies and hay fever are caused when your body reacts to a certain allergen. Although the allergen may be harmless, your immune system may perceive it to be a threat and attempt to repeatedly attack it. You may be allergic to something year-round like pet dander, dust or perfumes, or possibly something seasonal such as tree pollen, smoke from farmer’s burning their fields or freshly cut grass. The term hay fever is not limited to contact with hay. While some people are, in fact, allergic to hay, the term hay fever came when harvesters would develop allergic reactions during crop season.
The most common symptoms of allergies and hay fever are:
- Itchy, watery eyes
- Sneezing and clear runny nose
- Nasal congestion (and even sinus congestion)
- Eye irritation
- Excessive tearing in eyes, may even seal eyes shut when sleeping
- Nose bleed
- Loss of smell
The more severe the allergy, the more severe the reactions. The longer the body is suffering from the allergy, the more worn down it can get and possibly lead to serious, long-term health problems.
Side Effects of Allergies & Hay Fever
For minor allergies, the reaction can simply be an inconvenience and make you feel as you do when you have cold. However, for more severe allergies or for people who have weakened immune systems, the side effects can be much more serious.
Moderate to Serious Side Effects from Allergies & Hay Fever:
- Anaphylaxis – Most common with drug or food allergies or insect venom
- More Allergies – Having one allergy makes you more prone to developing other allergies
- Asthma – If you don’t already have it, you are more likely to develop asthama if you suffer from allergies or hay fever
- Skin, Ear and Lung Infections – You may develop skin rashes, like eczema, or infections of the lungs or ears
Any allergy that is allowed to continue over a long period of time will increase your risk of developing more serious side effects. The longer your immune system tries to fight off a perceived invader, the quicker it can tire and open the door for other illnesses to invade.
Natural Home Remedies and Treatments for Allergies & Hay Fever
Your best bet is to get a handle on the allergies and hay fever and stop your body from attacking what is not a real threat. There are many home remedies as well as natural supplements that you can try. Remember to always consult your medical provider if symptoms worsen or do not improve. If you have trouble breathing or your lips are bluish, seek medical help immediately.
Some natural home remedies and treatments for allergies & hay fever:
- Acupuncture: Using a combination of herbal supplements and stimulating certain points of the body, acupuncture strives to help the body as a whole, to make it strong so it is not affected by any outside stimuli (ie. dust, pollen, pets etc.)
- Dust-free/Pet-free: Depending on your allergy, keep your living area as clean as you can.